Local and national COVID-19 Resources, Information and Updates
By CFB Halifax,
The following is a list of CFB Halifax-specific information and updates regarding the COVID-19 pandemic, as well as provincial and federal information, guidelines and resources.
Information will be added/amended and time stamped as it becomes available. We thank you for your patience and flexibility, as this is a rapidly evolving issue. Stay safe, everyone.
CFB Halifax Base Updates:
- Core Services Only. Effective Monday, March 16, 2020, CFB Halifax will follow the national direction and revert to core services only within Base branches. These core services personnel have been identified. All other Defence Team personnel, both military and civilian, are to conduct work from home, where possible. This measure will continue for three weeks for military and civilian members of Base Executive Services, Base Administration, Base Information Services, Base Logistics and Port Operations and Emergency Services.
- Dental Services. Effective Monday, March 16, 2020, 1 Dental Unit Det Halifax will be focusing primarily on urgent/emergency dental treatment. All regularly booked appointments are postponed. After April 6th, unless otherwise directed by the CDS, postponed members are to call reception to rebook. The Shearwater Dental Clinic will be pausing operations. All patients in this AOR can access urgent/emergency dental treatment in Stadacona. If you are deploying and require a screening/treatment please call dental reception at 721-8960 to arrange an appointment. If you require after hours emergency dental care, contact the Duty Dentist: 902-499-4133 or the Duty Dent Tech: 902-499-6346. Point of contact: Dental Reception 721-8960.
Medical Services for CAF Members. Message from CF Health Services Centre (Atlantic) for the CFB Halifax and 12 Wing military community on how to access medical care until April 6, 2020: In order to mitigate the impacts of COVID-19 we are asking all clients requiring health services to follow the directions listed below:
- Sick Parade: Please note that the sick parade will function at a reduced capacity until we resume normal functions. If you need medical care and need to come in to sick parade it will be by booked appointment. CFB Halifax members should call 902- 721- 0537 to discuss your needs and book an appointment. 12 Wing members should call 902 -720- 2006.
- Booked Appointments: Due to reprioritization of healthcare providers, booked appointments in the CDUs are no longer confirmed until 6 Apr 20. However, if your previously scheduled appointment is urgent/time sensitive (including deployment screenings, OUTCAN screenings, or operationally required PHA’s) you may still book an appointment by calling 902 -721- 0537 for CFB Halifax Members and 902- 720- 2006 for 12 Wing Shearwater Members.
- Sick Chit: For members whose sick chits expires during this time, your chits will remain valid/extended until the member can be reassessed.
- Mental Health: Mental Health Services will be available for CFB Halifax and 12 Wing Shearwater patients. Please contact 902- 721- 8012 in order to book an appointment. For acute concerns during working hours contact the appropriate Duty PCN listed below or after hours report to a local emergency department.
- Clinic Access: Both Halifax and Shearwater clinics will be operating out of one door in order to maintain positive control. The main entrance will be the only point of entry. Hand-washing is mandatory upon arrival.
- Pharmacy: The pharmacy in Halifax and Shearwater will remain open from 0730-1530 until further notice. If you require refills for you medication please call the pharmacy before coming to the clinic. CFB Halifax Pharmacy can be contacted at 902- 721- 8755. 12 Wing Shearwater Pharmacy can be contacted at 902- 720- 1562. Please allow 24-48 hours for processing of refills.
Any individuals who meet the criteria below should not present to their CDU or their place of work. They should instead initiate contact as follows:
- Between 0730-1530 Monday to Friday: members contact Duty PCN; or
- After hours/weekends: members contact provincial nursing line (811). If you are swabbed by Nova Scotia Health Services after hours please notify the Duty PCN the following morning for tracking purposes.
Do not present in person to your CDU/place of work if you develop a fever and/or cough, who, within 14 days before onset of illness have:
- Travelled to an affected area; or
- Been in close contact with a probable or confirmed case of COVID-19; or
- Been in close contact with someone who has signs and symptoms of acute respiratory illness and who has travelled to an affected area within 14 days prior to their onset of illness; or
- Had laboratory exposure to biological material known to contain severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2).
- Halifax Triage/Appointment PCN: 902-721 -0537
- Halifax Treatment Room: 902- 721 -8794
- Shearwater Triage/Appointment PCN: 902 -720- 2006
- After Hours Duty PCN: 902- 402- 6832
- Parking. Effective Tuesday, March 17, 2020, CFB Halifax will enforce its weekend parking policy. Parking enforcement will continue to patrol inside HMC Dockyard, Willow Park, Windsor Park and Stadacona for cars parked inappropriately. Reception zones will be patrolled to ensure that reserved parking and accessible parking spots remain clear.
- IT Help Desk. The Base Information Services Help Desk is operational, however IT support is focused on core services only. Please do not call with non-essential requests at this time. The Help Desk can be reached at 427-1515.
Activities, Events and Facilities. Effective March 16, 2020, CFB Halifax activities, events and facilities will be impacted for three weeks. Impacts include:
- Cessation of all group activities and events (unless essential for operations or Force Generation);
- Cancellation of all visits, tours and events on the Base (contracted service support personnel are authorized);
- Suspension of CAF sports activities including PSP Halifax Special Interest Activities (Curling, Golf, Falls Lake, Yacht Club, etc.);
- Closure of the Dockyard and 12 Wing Fitness, Sports and Recreation Centres and all mini gyms;
- Closure of the Naval Museum of Halifax; and
- Closure of the dining halls and messes for all but essential services, focused on members who live on base and individuals supporting critical operations or Force Generation activities.
- Government of Canada COVID-19 Updates: https://www.canada.ca/coronaviru
- Joint DM/CDS statement on COVID-19: https://www.canada.ca/en/department-national-defence/maple-leaf/defence/2020/03/joint-dm-cds-statement-novel-coronavirus-covid-19.html?fbclid=IwAR1rpMbeqTFRU-sEnw_steSuvrSXCeXd-_pF45TDmezvrz1HJfj0Nmph9QA
- DND – Information Regarding Flexible Work Arrangements and Leave: https://www.canada.ca/en/department-national-defence/maple-leaf/defence/2020/03/information-regarding-flexible-work-arrangements-leave.html
- Treasury Board of Canada Secretariat – COVID-19 information for Federal Public Servants: https://www.canada.ca/en/government/publicservice/covid-19.html
- Public service and military – Information for Government of Canada employees: Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) https://www.canada.ca/en/government/publicservice/covid-19.html
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) for employees (COVID-19): https://www.canada.ca/content/dam/tbs-sct/documents/FAQ-COVID-19-eng.docx
- Public Health – Know the Difference: Self-monitoring, self-isolation and isolation for COVID-19: https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/publications/diseases-conditions/self-monitoring-self-isolation-isolation-for-covid-19.html
- Province of Nova Scotia: https://novascotia.ca/coronavirus/
- Nova Scotia’s Department of Health and Wellness: https://novascotia.ca/dhw/
- Facebook | Canadian Armed Forces @CanadianForces
- Facebook | Department of National Defence @NationalDefenceGC
- Facebook | Health Canada @HealthyCdns
- Twitter | Canadian Armed Forces @CanadianForce
- Twitter | Department of National Defence @NationalDefence
- Twitter | Health Canada @GovCanHealth
- Twitter | Dr. Theresa Tam, Chief Public Health Officer @CPHO_Canada
- Twitter | Prime Minister Justin Trudeau @CanadianPM
- Twitter | Deputy Prime Minister Chrystia Freeland @DeputyPM_Canada
- Twitter | Nova Scotia’s Department of Health and Wellness @nshealth
- If you need support, please don’t struggle alone. The 24-7 Employee Assistance Program (EAP) is available to all of you. You can also access the Public Service Healthcare Plan (PSHP) or use the nationwide Specialized Organizational Services (SOS)
- Canadian Forces Member Assistance Program: 1-800-268-7708
- Family Info Line: 1-800-866-4546
- Mental Health Crisis Line: 24/7. 1-866-996-0991
- Federal COVID-19 Information Line: 1-833-784-4397
- For HR related questions: HR Connect RH/Virtual Client Contact Centre at 1-833-RHR-MDND (1-833-747-6363) between 08h00 and 16h00 EST
- HR GO RH App: https://www.canada.ca/en/department-national-defence/maple-leaf/defence/2019/11/looking-for-hr-information-at-your-fingertips-download-the-hr-go-rh-app-today.html